Friday, January 16, 2015

Goodnuff

     I am getting better at arriving in a new city at night and remembering to buy myself vegetables, worse at forming proper sentences and thoughts to write down. I am surprised and flattered that so many people are still checking in with this blog. And as much as I hate the ubiquitous posts that begin with "sorry I haven't been writing," I am going to break my own rule and apologize for being out of touch. I hope I'll be able to be at least a little more consistent the rest of my trip.

     I sometimes wonder what a map of our journey would look like. It is certainly not a well planned itinerary, more like the path of someone who is confused, lost, impulsive, or maybe blindfolded. Within towns we travel in endless loops and zigzags through alleys and side roads, which I wish could be attributed to our adventurous spirits alone, but probably is mostly due to indecisiveness and losing our bearings. It's quite fun though to find less beaten paths and have the time to make our way by foot. Between towns we pick whatever sounds nice to do next, which means that there have been quite a few multi-day journeys decided a day or two beforehand as well as a lot of backtracking and familiarity with the Indian transportation system. Any trips less than 24 hours start to sound pretty doable. There are obvious downsides to our method, but we have come to some very interesting places as a result, and I feel quite a lot more confidant making my way around in the world.
     To give an overview up til this point, we've gone to Udaipur, Jaipur, Amritsar, Dharamsala (McLeod Ganj), Yamunotri, Badrinath, Rishikesh, Haridwar, Varanasi, Darjeeling, Kausani, Delhi, Nagpur, Aurangabad, and now back briefly in Nasik, not counting all the small towns we've stayed en route. We were in Kausani for the full month of December at Anamay Ashram, a Vedic ashram where we were WWOOFing (a program where work on a farm is exchanged for room and board).
     We have adopted the Goodnuff philosophy for our travels, an ancient system of beliefs we've discovered and pushed to new levels. It  comes to great use in matters of comfort, cleanliness, and carrying out all the tasks necessary to sustain life. It has been serving us quite well so far. Things may not be perfect, but as long as they are goodnuff, cleanuff, warmnuff, ediblenuff, I am happy.
     I hope to write more soon (motivation, time, and Internet permitting), but for now know that I am well and sending love to everyone at home. Write me!
Jai Guru Dev, Radhaswami, Jai Jinendra, Hari Om, Namaste,
Meleah

No comments:

Post a Comment